Crunchy Wife, My Version
I recently read a blog post entitled 10 Things Guys Married to Crunchy Moms Understand and while I found it amusing, I found that there are at least 4 of them that I don’t do. Though I don’t use the title “crunchy” when I describe myself I would probably be classified as such. So I’ve created my own list of 10 things that make me a crunchy wife and mama.
- I make my own sourdough bread. I learned from a friend how to make my own sourdough starter. It is homemade, with no preservatives, very simple ingredients, and it is so delicious!
- I make my own yogurt. It started out as a money saving thing, and now I also enjoy it because again, it’s simply milk with no added sugar and other weird ingredients. I let the fruit I put into it be the natural sweetener.
- I make my own laundry soap. Yes, I make my own. It keeps the clothes clean and costs pennies compared to what I used to buy at the store.
- Most of my cleaning is done with vinegar. I do still have some cleaning products, but I am trying to finish them up before switching mostly to vinegar.
- I make my own granola. It’s so good!
- “Don’t throw that away, put it in the recycle!” I’m constantly taking things out of my husband’s hands that he’s about to throw away and insist they go in the recycle bin.
- I grow my own vegetables. I admit my vegetable garden is nothing compared to my sister’s or my parent’s but still, we get a good amount of produce from it. This past week we have enjoyed green beans, okra, tomatoes, and jalapeno peppers from the garden.
- I can’t stand wastefulness. This has more to do with being a good steward of God’s creation, and not wasting the gifts He has given us.
- I think it would be fun to raise chickens. Yes, my husband thinks I’m crazy on this one, and I’m sure our HOA wouldn’t approve, but I think it would be awesome!
- We don’t use birth control. My husband and I practice Natural Family Planning, specifically the sympto-thermal method. This one, again, is more for faithful religious reasons rather than crunchy reasons, but hey, it’s also non-hormonal and natural!